Assume your friend take an interesting CD/DVD on game, movie or anything you have interest but on the mean time you don’t have any blank CD. What you do? The
Assume your friend take an interesting CD/DVD on game, movie or anything you have interest but on the mean time you don’t have any blank CD. What you do? The most convenient way is to create an Image file of that CD/DVD. But now your friend takes his CD/DVD to his home and you don’t have the time to take blank CD/DVD for some reason. What you do? That is the time when you need this software much?
You may have some essential question. I just answering 2 question what most of the people ask.
What is DISK IMAGE?
A disk image is a single file containing the complete contents and structure representing a data storage medium or device, such as a hard drive, CD, or DVD. A disk image file is usually created by creating a sector-by-sector copy of the source media, ignoring its file system, and thereby perfectly replicating the structure and contents of a storage device.
What is Portable Application?
A portable application, or portable app for short, is a computer software program that does not need to be installed or copied onto a computer’s mass storage device to be executed, running instead from a removable storage device such as a CD-ROM drive, USB flash drive, flash card, or floppy disk.
I think you get enough idea on this topic. What the actual fun on portable application is you don’t have the risk on registry mess up and don’t need to restart your machine to install the application.
The Virtual CD-ROM Control Panel by Microsoft is the perfect solution for mounting disk images from a portable USB drive.
To use the Virtual CD-ROM Control Panel:
- Extract the contents of the self-extracting excecutable onto your portable drive. Be sure that there are no spaces in the path to the directory you create (i.e. extract into a directory called X:PortableAppsVCDRom, not X:PortableAppsVirtual CD ROM). Otherwise, you will encounter problems later.
- Launch the VCdControlTool.exe program
- Click the Driver Control … button
- Click the Install Driver … button
- Browse to the location of where you extracted the Virtual CD-ROM Control Panel files, and use the VCdRom.sys driver file.
- Click the Add Drive button. You should see a new drive letter appear in the Virtual CDRom Control Panel window.
- Navigate to the location of your disk image file (.iso, .udf, .cdfs, .jo, and .rock files are supported) and open it.
The disk image is now mounted on the new drive letter that was created. To restore the system to its original state:
- Select the drive(s) that were added, in the Virtual CDRom Control Panel window.
- Click the Remove Drive button.
- Click the Driver Control … button.
- Click the Remove Driver button.
So this is the way you can work with this portable application. It only take merely 32.5KB and should work in both Windows XP and Vista.
You may also like:
- Download Windows Live Writer Portable 3 – Portable Blogging
- Mount iPhone, iPad and iTouch in Windows Fast with Phone Disk
- 10 Free Facebook Application for Microsoft Windows
- 8 Free Portable Image Converter
- Download free battery friendly GPS Logger application for Android